West Haven Academy of Karate Student Creed
1. I intend to use Tang Soo Do to develop myself in a positive manner and I will avoid anything that would limit or reduce my mental growth or my physical health.
2. I intend to develop self-discipline in order to bring out the best in myself and others.
3. I intend to use what I learn in class constructively and defensively to help myself and my fellow man and I will never be abusive or offensive.
Eight Key Concepts of Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan
Courage – Young Gi
Concentration – Chung Shin Tong Il
Endurance – In Neh
Honesty – Chung Jik
Humility – Kyum Son
Tension and Relaxation – Shin Chook
Control of Power – Him Cho Chung
Speed Control – Wan Gup
Ha Na – One
Dool – Two
Set – Three
Net – Four
Da Sot – Five
Yuh Sot – Six
Il Gop – Seven
Yo Dull – Eight
Ah Hope – Nine
Yohl – Ten
10 Articles of Faith on Mental Training
1. Be loyal to your country; sacrifice yourself for your duty to your country and your people.
2. Be obedient to your parents; children should be dutiful to their parents and parents should be charitable to their children.
3. Be loving between husband and wife; love and affection between the sexes develop mankind's happiness and harmony in life.
4. Be cooperative between brothers; hold together with cooperation and concord.
5. Be respectful to your elders protect the rights of the weak with courtesy and modesty.
6. Be faithful between teacher and student. Learn the truth through practice of duty and affection.
7. Be faithful between friends. Be peaceful and happy with harmony and faith towards each other, regardless of race, and towards all mankind.
8. Face combat only in justice and with honor; be able to distinguish between good and bad with fairness and rightfulness.
9. Never retreat in battle; sacrifice for justice with capability and bravery.
10. Always finish what you start. Move to action with sureness and with hope.
To read more about the10 Articles of Faith, visit: http://www.tangsoodoworld.com/reference/reference_ten_articles_of_faith.htm
Basic Korean Terminology
Tang Soo Do
Name of our Art: “The Way of the Empty Hand of China”
Mi Guk Kwan
Name of our Style or Organization: “School in America”
Reference to the Chinese dynasty (showing the Chinese influence of our style)
Hand, Empty Hand, or Knife Hand
Kwan Jhang Nim
Grandmaster or Head of Style,
“Kwan Jhang Nim Charles Ferraro”
Sa Bom Nim
Master Instructor, 4th Dan and up
Kyo Sa Nim
Certified Instructor, 1st – 3rd Dan
Degree, or holder of a midnight blue belt
Level, grade, or holder of a color belt below the rank of “Dan”
U Dan Ja Nim
U Gup Ja
Sun Beh Nim
Cho Bo Ja
Sir, Ma’am, or Honorable
Training Hall (studio or school)
Kicking or foot techniques
Il Soo Sik Deh Ryun
Ja Yu Deh Ryun
Ho Sin Sul
Ko Mop Sam Ni Da
Thank you very much